I have a tendency to balk at New Year’s resolutions. Well maybe balk isn’t the word, look down upon/roll my eyes/generally poo-poo, are more accurate descriptions. This probably comes from my experience at the gym in the first month and a half of every new year…anybody who has a regular gym program knows exactly what I mean. I also have this very Tony Robbins’/Jillian Michaels’-esque frame of mind – if you are serious about making changes in your life, why do you have to wait until January 1st? Do it now. And that’s probably why I’m writing this blog today and not tomorrow.
All of this said (and re-reading that paragraph, I sound like a total curmudgeon) – I do want to make some changes. And perhaps putting those thoughts out into the universe (i.e. worldwide web), will help me to make good on these promises to myself. So here you have it (I’ll keep it at 10, that feels realistic over the course of a year):
1. Be less stubborn and be more empathetic. Before reacting, think…about where someone else is coming from, what motivates them. And maybe my conclusion will still be that my way is the best way, but also, maybe not.
2. Get involved in my community. I’m invested in a new neighborhood, literally, and it’s important for me to have a say in how to make it better.
3. Drink more water.
4. Smile, every morning, for at least one minute. I’m guessing this will make me actually smile, because I’ll look like a jackass for 60 seconds (that just means in the morning, I probably look like a jackass for way longer than 60 seconds every day).
5. Be more present in my yoga practice.
7. Get better networked in my industry – continued learning in my field.
8. Blog more.
9. Be there for friends and family. I am such a good isolator. Now that I’ve spent the past 28 years learning how to do that, I think it’s probably time to learn how to better stay in touch with people.
10. And for those of you who know me well…you know what #10 is. It’s the key to accomplishing #1 through 9.
And I’m beginning today. I’m smiling like a jackass, right now.